12-14 July 2016, Tajikistan
The need for a Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction for Central Asia and South Caucasus (CASC) to facilitate focused dialogue and strategic planning similar to the other regions has been strongly voiced in regional discussions leading up to the Third UN World Conference on Disaster Risk Reduction (WCDRR), held in Sendai, Japan, in March 2015.
The CASC Regional Platform meeting convened national authorities and relevant stakeholders to discuss specific measures for effective planning and implementation of the Sendai Framework in the region, including planning and implementation guidance, training and capacity enhancement, as well as plans of action, commitments, benchmarks and indicators of progress. The potential and modalities of how the regional platform mechanism can optimally benefit the region have also be explored.
CASC Regional Platform for DRR has been followed by a two day Training of Trainers Programme: ‘Guidance on planning and implementation of the Sendai Framework for DRR’. The ToT aims to strengthening understanding of the Sendai Framework for DRR and develop capacity on how to use tools proposed by UNISDR to identify gaps and develop action plans to align policies and plans for implementation, as well as to support the advancement of capacity development initiatives for DRR and resilience building in the countries of the CASC region.
The proposed Regional Platform for Disaster Risk Reduction in CASC aimed to:
- Discuss and agree on policy guidance and support required for effective planning and implementation of the Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction in the region; at the national and regional levels
- Take stock and assess the status of implementation of Sendai framework for Disaster Risk Reduction at the national and regional levels, update and identify areas for priority action
- Facilitate planning and implementation with guidance, training, capacity enhancement and support required in the region through partnerships, guidance for resource mobilization
- Discuss plans of action, commitments, benchmarks and indicators of progress at the national and regional levels
- Support the contribution and learning of the CASC region, inform and build on the global and regional platforms, policy forums and guidance processes, including Asia Ministerial Conference for DRR (AMCDRR), the Worldwide Initiative for Safe Schools (WISS), Global Platform for DRR, and the UN Plan of Action on DRR for resilience.